In the age of social media and fitness superstars, the core values of what fitness is can be lost. It’s not just about 6 packs and lifting heavy weights. Fitness is about being able to do anything you want to do, whenever you want to do it. We published a blog earlier this year regarding some of the benefits of CrossFit for older adults, but as our over 55’s programme is proving successful, we thought we would hit you with some more research!
The strength of your legs has been found to be a key predictor of your longevity, both how long you will live and the quality of life as you age. You are never too old to start! A study called the Health ABC (Health, Aging and Body Composition) was published in 2006 and did a study on over 2,000 participants, male and female, between the ages of 70 and 79 years old.
The study ran several tests over time, including consistent tests on grip strength and quadriceps strength. Both strength tests proved that the stronger you are the more this improved your quality of life & has also been found to add years to life expectancy. When it comes to health and fitness it is very much a case of ‘use it or lose it’. This is why we have started the CrossFit Leyland Masters Course to help people regain their fitness and movement to increase their freedom to do what they want, without caution or restrictions.
The Sickness – Wellness Continuum shows again that we can correlate a direct relationship between fitness and sickness. Those that actively look to increase their fitness through movement will be moving themselves away from becoming sick. It also acts as a buffer as the further along the continuum we get towards fitness , the less impact sickness will have on us.
We have a 6 week introductory course for over 55’s starting on Monday 2nd July, classes will run on mondays and fridays 11am – 12 noon. The aim of our classes is simple, to allow people to move more freely and to do more away from the gym. Life is all about living! Adding an exercise routine from as little as 2 hours per week will be a step in the right direction to help you do this.
What is normal?
As we get older, it is normal that life starts to slow down, your activity level drops and your body starts to get a few more aches and pains. This does not have to be the case though, here at CrossFit Leyland we are movement orientated & our CrossFit Masters Class (Monday and Friday 11am – 12 noon) is aimed at improving movement and strength to fight off the signs of ageing.
1) As people grow older, their muscle fibers shrink in number and in size and become less sensitive to messages from the central nervous system. This contributes to a decrease in strength, balance, and coordination. The less we move and use our muscles, the less they want to do. Our masters class is designed to regain this, allowing you to move more both inside and outside of the gym.
2) Fitness training has been proven to help increase bone density, which lowers the risk of developing osteoporosis and fractures. Reducing the risks of damage when you fall or the impact on your bones accidents can have.
3) Resistance exercise can also help senior people live independently by giving them the strength they need to perform everyday tasks. Allowing you to do more for yourself for longer, and allowing people to keep their independence.
4) It cannot reverse arthritic changes but lifting weights helps alleviate symptoms by strengthening the muscles, tendons, and ligaments that surround joints. As we age it is not just the bones and muscles that can age but also your tendons and ligaments that attach everything together. These will age and wear down, so moving more can encourage more blood to flow to these areas of the body.
5) There is even evidence that resistance exercise can help people sleep better and can improve your mood. As the master class is a group training session you will develop new friendships and learn new skills. Don’t forget the brain is a muscle too! Learning new skills and movement patterns will boost its ability to process new information as well.
Over 55 course details:
Starting: Monday 2nd July 11am – 12 noon (mondays and fridays)
We would love to see you down at CrossFit Leyland! Take the first step towards improving your quality of life.